Architecture & Planning | Portland, OR | In-Progress
Jefferson Station, constructed in 1909 and expanded in 1925, is a three-story reinforced concrete structure that originally served as a substation to power railway and street-lighting systems for the Portland Railway Light and Power Company. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
As subconsultant to SRG Partnership on the new Multnomah County Central Courthouse project, ARG authored an Historic Resource Assessment of Jefferson Station and performed an assessment of the building’s exterior to develop construction documents for repair and rehabilitation to retain the exterior character-defining features of the building. ARG also designed new industrial steel windows, wood windows, and wood storefronts to further enhance the historic features while meeting the new courthouse programmatic goals.